Never lose your edge with the RaceWax StaySharp Ski Edge Kit - Everything you need to professionally sharpen ski and snowboard edges.
Side and base edge bevel multi tool (does all angles) that includes a metal file as well as four RaceWax diamond stones, a Swix deburring gummi stone, & more.
- This one tool is all you need to sharpen and bevel your edges. Dial a precise angle from 0 degree to 5 degrees in 0.5 degree increments. Does every angle you'll ever need!
- Metal file included.
- One Swix gray Gumi or Gummi Stone for prepping an edge, deburring as the final step in edge sharpening, or detuning.
- RaceWax Diamond Stone Set, All Four Stones, 70 mm x 25mm. BLACK (X-Coarse)= offers best cutting action (240 grit); BLUE (Coarse)= for routine edge maintenance and sharpening (360); RED (Fine)= for deburring and edge polishing (500); GREEN (X-fine)= for ultra smooth edge polishing (1000)
- File cleaning brush for removing metal filings from grooves. Measures 4 x 0.6 x 0.4 inches.
- Ski brake retainers: two large strong, ski shop quality bands.
- Detailed instruction card with links to video help.
- Bonus Benefit for this tool: If you don't know what base and side angles your ski/board are set to, this tool can help you find them.
- There are two ways to determine the cutting direction for the metal file in the tool: (a) you can run the back of your fingernail across the file. Your fingernail will run smoothly one way and the other way (the cutting direction) will produce small shavings from your fingernail on the file; or, (b) look closely at the file with a magnifying glass. You will see that the file teeth point in only one direction. You pull the file in the direction that will cause the most friction against the ski edge (the cutting direction).
The amount of base edge bevel will affect the ability of the ski/board to pivot on the snow. The more base edge bevel, the easier it will be to pivot or slide from side to side. Once you set the base edge angle, you can't go back to the original because of the base material. If the skis hook up on turns, increase the bevel by a quarter or half degree.
Side edge beveling will give the skis more grip on the snow surface. Higher angles should be reserved for experienced racers; if the angle is too high the ski can "rail out" on a less experienced racer. Typical angles are 1.0 to 3.0 degrees. Less angle equals less grip. Slalom angles can be 3.0 to 5.0 degrees; downhill up to 3.0 degrees. A racer should start at 3 degrees. Keep in mind:
- Higher angles are quicker to dull.
- An aggressive edge (high angle), may be more difficult for lighter racers (young kids or women) may make it more difficult to recover from being up on the edge.
Just what I was looking for
Super happy with this product!
I have two of these - one purchased 7 years ago from Racewax when they were in PA and one recently as part of a tuning kit. They work great, and I had to have the .5 deg. increments because some skis come tuned to 3.5 or 2.5 deg. I tune 9 pairs of skis, so these see a lot of use. I tune skis standing up (not a lot of room in my utility closet) so I repeatedly (>10) dropped the old one until the plastic pin that holds it together broke. No problem - I found a short screw and a lock nut that works even better to hold it together and now I don't worry about dropping it! I might even replace the plastic pin in the old one. My one suggestion for tuning with this is: tune the edges, bronze brush and horsehair brush the base, and then wax. This can leave metal/junk on the bases and you'll probably want to get that off before waxing.
Excellent construction. Nice range of diamond stones, and mill bastard for initial cut. Set your degree and go !.
I'm a novice tuner, i live in the finger lakes region where snow can be wet and icy. This tuning package is worth every penny and there is no shortage of easy to understand and access instruction on how to tune and wax competently.
Mostly bought the kit for the stones, everything works great. No complaints.
Great assortment of tools for sharpening and maintaining edges. The sharpener has a range of preset angles, and the four diamond stones allow for a perfectly polished edge. The brake straps are very sturdy and look like they will last a long time.
Very sturdy, does all angles, easy to use and includes everything you need. Great product.
Really nice tool for quickly evaluating edges , especially if your not sure what the angles on the board are to begin with.