A collection of training videos & tutorials.Wax Wizard
Find the right wax for the right conditions.Ski & Board Wax
Racing wax for Snowboarding & Skiing.Tuning Tools
Use the same tools the pro’s use.
Diamond Stone Care & Use
Choosing Diamond Stones or Aluminum Oxide (Ceramic) Stones
Visualize the surface of a diamond stone as a flat plain studded with sharp rocky spires. Conversely an aluminum oxide stone is a flat surface erratically scored by canyons. The protrusive diamonds cut more aggressively than the flatter aluminum oxide stones, even if the stones have a similar grit rating. The result is that aluminum oxide stones don't cut base edges as quickly, thereby reducing the chance of over-beveling them. If you are using diamond stones, use a light touch to avoid over beveling. This is a significant consideration for base beveling.
Arkansas stones are natural stones of various hardness and surface quality. These stones will hone your edge without "sanding" it as with a diamond stone.
DMT Diamond Stone Care
- These stones contain monocrystalline diamonds (as opposed to polycrystalline). The diamonds are uniformly sized and bonded to a nickel backing to provide a long lasting very flat surface. The alternative is to use polycrystalline diamonds. These diamonds are fractured and will not wear as long as the higher quality monocrystalline.
- We recommend water or a 50/50 water/alcohol mix on diamond stones for lubrication and to wash away the ground material.
- Always rinse your stones with water after use. Water will remove the metal filings left on the surface that could rust. After rinsing we always recommend drying the stones thoroughly so they can be stored dry. If your diamond stone becomes dirty you can use a tooth brush and a household abrasive cleaner to clean up the stones.
- The life of the diamond is a factor of how often you use your stone and how well you take care of it. If diamond stones are properly maintained, meaning they are kept clean and stored dry, they can last a long time. Diamond stones will, however, not last forever. For those that use stones on a daily basis and maintain them properly, the diamond will likely last for a few years.
- If a stone is clean and you are experiencing problems, test the stone on the side of an old glass jar. Rub the stone against the glass to see if it leave scratches or frosts the glass. If you see evidence of scratches or frost, there is still diamond left on your stone that can be used for sharpening.
Diaface Moonflex Diamond Stone Care
- The diamond files should be used lubricated, spraying on a solution of 50% water and 50% alcohol. In emergency, on the ski slope, the snow could be enough to keep them lubricated.
- Create the edge with the 100 grit (black) using then the various grits in sequence for obtaining a mirror finish (200-400-600-1500). Three or four passes of each grit, without exerting pressure, are enough to obtain a perfect result.
- After use, clean the stone with the water-alcohol solution using a small nylon or bronze brush.
All Other Stones
Fine steel particles, base material and old wax quickly collects on stone faces, making them feel dull. For hard stones, use a cleansing powder like Comet or Ajax, along with warm water (or water/vinegar) and a heavy-duty toothbrush to remove gunk. You can also lap hard stones (but not diamond stones) on a piece of sheetrock sanding screen (laid atop a flat surface) to remove more stubborn gunk and light scoring. For best performance and durability, clean stones after every tune, and use wet.
Diamond Stone Selection
DMT - Diamond Machining Tools
- Tuning Tips
- Tuning Tips Overview
- Quick Tuning Guide
- Base Structure Theory
- Edge Tuning
- Ptex Base Repair
- Diamond Stone Care & Use
- Sidewall Cutting
- Wax Application
- Wax Iron Setting
- Choosing Wax
- Wax Charts
- Choosing Tuning Kits
- Tuning Kit Instructions
- Essential Equipment List
- Fluoro Powder Application
- New Skis/Board Care
- Spring Tuneup
- Summer Storage
- Buying at Ski Swap Sales
- Questions and Answers
- Video Archive Overview
- Newsletter Signup